Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why the white Crayons????????

OK!.... NO, I HAVEN'T LOST MY MIND!!!
I guess we need an explanation for the white Crayons! LOL!!!

Some of the patterns are tinted with colored Crayola Crayons.  It's a really fun technique that looks SO COOL when it's done right!!!  I like to start the process by coloring any area that's going to be tinted with white crayon.  It sort of "fills" the weave of the fabric and smooths it out to create a base for the colored crayons.  It also helps with the blending of colors..........SO!!! You can go through quite a bit of white crayon in a single project.  In the new "Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage" I used almost 3 white crayons.  Having to buy another ENTIRE box of colored crayons just to get one, single, lousy white crayon is just, well......maddening!  But....having a little box of all white on hand.....is.....happy-ing!  Yes, that's a new word.

Color tinting is really easy......

1.  Trace the design onto the fabric as usual

2.  Make sure your work surface is clean and smooth and there isn't any lint/threads on the back of the     fabric.

3.  Color all areas that you'll be tinting somewhat heavily with white crayon.

4.  Tint all areas as directed in the pattern (or use your own imagination!) I like to use a little circular motion........

5.  Heat set with a hot iron by laying a white paper towel over the tinted area and pressing (you'll smell the wax)  Remove the paper towel and look at it.....if there's ANY color on it repeat the pressing process with a clean paper towel.

xo Meg

11 comments:

Helen said...

Thanks for the explanation. I had to go look on your Website to find out why I would need a box of white crayons, unless it's for Easter Eggs. I haven't tried the tinting effect, but I think it looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the white crayons, however I am confused. Do you first color with the white, iron it and then put the color you want on top of that?

Meg Hawkey said...

No, you do all of the coloring (white and the colors on top of it) and THEN press the whole thing at once. Try it on a scrap piece of fabric...it's SO FUN!!!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Thanks Meg, for the explanation. What a wonderful, creative idea for embroidery! How did you manage to get a box of all white crayons?? Blessings,Kathleen

Jackie said...

Hi Meg,

Thank you so much for the lovely little tutorial on coloring. I love this look on your newest piece and want to experiment on some other embroidery pieces...your explanation was excellent! Isn't it great to let the "child come out and play" with crayons?! I always have crayons handy and I'm over 60!! Love your blog!

Miss Hillbilly said...

My daughter is an order packer for Hallmark who owns Crayola. I called her yesterday and told her to get her hands on a bunch of white crayons for me!!! Then I told her it was no big deal as you have them very cheap. But, free is better than cheap.

I am new to stitchery and haven't tried coloring yet, but I have seen several that were...so I'm anxious to start. Being the non artsy one, I think I'll do the stitching then pass along to my daughter to do the coloring :)

Kathy said...

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know you can usually pick up white crayons from your local school supply.
Thanks for always sharing and blessing us out in blog land.
Kathy Blair

Beth said...

Thanks for the explanation. I have done some work with crayons, but I didn't know about the white! I am going to try it.

Anonymous said...

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=92

Sarita said...

When coloring with the crayons, is it best to color the whole project or do in sections. I am working on calendula, and whitch boot.

Kathy said...

What color crayons did you use for the Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage??

love the look!!! or do you say in your pattern?